Tourmaline – have you heard this name before? Well…, if you haven’t, I think it’s about time you did. Tourmaline in my opinion is what one can call the wonder stone. I came to this conclusion after observing a demonstration of how just the mere presence of just touching this stone can help one to do some amazing things. Tourmaline is actually a gemstone, is a semi-precious natural crystal stone. It is also known as the electric stone because of its ability to generate negative ions and far infrared rays (FIR). The stone also has the ability to convert the moisture in the air into negative ions and generate weak electric current – piezoelectric (the name comes from piezein — Greek for “squeeze”) and pyroelectric effect.
In 1880, French physicist Pierre Curie and his older brother Jacques found that putting pressure on various crystals created electricity. They also discovered that when tourmaline was heated, it carried a weak electric charge (pyroelectricity) and piezoelectricity was produced when pressure was applied to its surface. Research in Japan later confirmed that tourmaline produced a faint but constant electric charge of 0.06mA, which is why tourmaline continues to be known as “the electric stone,” especially in Asia. This electrical charge enables tourmaline to produce far infrared photon energy, negative ions, and alpha waves. Japanese researchers also found that no matter how small tourmaline is ground or crushed, it is still capable of conveying an electric current.
About now you are wondering what exactly are negative ions and FIR. Negative ions are sometimes known as air vitamins. They are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance in certain environments. These environments include mountains, waterfalls, and beaches. In the bloodstream, negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin and are thought to have multiple healing effects on the mind and body. These negative ions produced by tourmaline are completely safe and natural and have no negative side effects.
Here are three benefits of Negative Ions:
- Boosts energy
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves blood circulation (dilation of vessels)
Far infrared another key component of tourmaline which is a band of energy in the complete electromagnetic spectrum and it has been used effectively for millennia to treat/ease certain maladies and discomforts. It is now seen as a promising treatment modality for certain medical conditions.
FIR wavelength is too long to be perceived by the eyes, however, the body experiences its energy as a gentle radiant heat which can penetrate up to 1.5 inches (almost 4 cm) beneath the skin. German and Japanese scientists have also discovered that Tourmaline can radiate an energy of 8-13Hz per second, which exactly matches the alpha wave frequency in the human brain. When exposed to this wave frequency, the brain can more quickly enter the alpha state, thereby bringing about a calm and peaceful sleep.
As a gem stone, tourmaline comes in various colours and bears different significance depending on the colour. Here are three benefits of each colour.
- Used to treat motion sickness.
- Promotes living in harmony with all aspects of one’s environment, a good night’s sleep, insightful dreams and vivid dream recall.
- May also assist in restoring luster and shine to hair and nails and in developing your intuition.
- Relieves anxiety.
- Increases your sexual energy.
- Calms and balances your energy.
- Soothes the nervous system and may be useful in treating hysteria, depression and obsession.
- Used for harmonizing the feminine energies.
- Helps neutralize the harmful effects of microwaves, computers and other electronics.
- Dispels the electromagnetic vibrations given off by cell phones and computers.
- Provides an excellent shield against environmental pollutants.
- Provides pain relief and assists with strained or torn muscles, numbness, arthritis, and scar tissue.
- Balances emotions.
- Relieves headaches.
- Useful for stomach pain, and ulcers.
- One of the cornerstones of power within the gem therapy.
- Enhances your creativity.
- Boosts your problem solving abilities.
Tourmaline as a gemstone is worn as jewellery by many and can also be incorporated into many different products. This is done by converting the tourmaline into a fine powder and then infusing it accordingly into the products. The potential and benefits from the use of this stone are tremendous.
Here is a list of some things that are made from tourmaline.
- Neck Warmer
- Waist Belt
- Knee Warmer
- Memory Foam Pillow
- Wool Comforter
- Silk scarves
- Running Water Treasure
- Shower Head
- Energy Stone Pendant